computer clock

sms 14:40 08 Sep 2006

my pc clock constantly looses time. What causes this please

User-312386 14:46 08 Sep 2006

Most probably the CMOS battery needs replacing on the motherboard

gudgulf 14:47 08 Sep 2006

Just loses time.....or loses it's setting when the pc is shut down?

If it's the latter then the motherboard battery might be running out.

If it's just losing time...then remember the pc clock is not driven by a quartz crystal and is not 100% accurate....irrelevant for a web connected pc though.

Assuming you have XP

Rt click the time in the Taskbar,select adjust date/time and then the Internet Time tab.Put a click in the "Automatically sychronise with a web server" box.

The clock will periodically check against a very accurate source and reset itself.

sms 15:44 08 Sep 2006

my pc is running in a vessel which does not have internet access. I think it must be the cmos battery.

picklefactory 17:12 08 Sep 2006

Just tried that myself as it was new to me, but the 2 default time servers time.windows.com and time.nist.gov just generate an error 'Peer is unreachable'. Internet connection is running fine, but the sync doesn't seem to happen.

ened 17:19 08 Sep 2006

Just out of curiosity do you know how accurate the "very accurate source " is?
Sometimes my time is all over the place within hours of a 'synchronisation'.

gudgulf 17:27 08 Sep 2006

Last time I checked..about a week ago the synchronised time was identical to the atomic clock at Greenwich click here

Good enough for me!

picklefactory....sometimes it is difficult to connect manually,and I don't know why.I usually let it update automatically ,but Ive just this minute checked and synched with time.windows.com, no problem.

picklefactory 18:06 08 Sep 2006

I bow to my elder and better and happily take your word for it, I have no problem, just curious, my clock is normally pretty good.
Cheers (Like the name, Bored of the Rings is a classic)

gudgulf 18:13 08 Sep 2006

Lol....one of my favourites too ;)))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?