Computer can't see each other on network.

bennyhillslovechild 11:47 22 Feb 2007

Okay....I've set up serveral small home networks for myself, family and friends without any bother whatsoever...until now. My friend has just purchased a new Dell XPS (drool) and set it up at home and asked me to help him set up his network. Previously he had three PC's on this network, two running xp pro, and one xp home which I set up with file and printer sharing and shared interent connection through a belkin adsl router without a hitch. He's now just tryig to network the new Dell machine and his old pc. They are both running XP pro. They can both access the internet fine, and can ping each other, but try as I might, I simply cannot get them to see each other in network place to share files. I've run the home network wizard several times, and turned on file and printer sharing and selected documents to be shared, but I cannot make them find each other. I feel silly...can any of you smart people help me?

recap 12:30 22 Feb 2007

This may be a sharing permissions issue, click here for how to set permissions.

Strawballs 21:39 22 Feb 2007

I'm thinking a firewall problem

andy8491 22:09 22 Feb 2007

it might just be a firewall problem, however on both computers go to start and right click on my computer. then click properties.then click on computer name then when it says workgroup make sure both names say the same workgroup name, if not, simply change both names to a workgroup name and then restart both computers and then do the search for the computers again. (to change the workgroup name, click change)

andy8491 22:11 22 Feb 2007

for a more detailed way of changing workgroup name click here

bennyhillslovechild 23:15 22 Feb 2007

workgroup name is definitely the same, and I have tried with all firewalls turned off.

PalaeoBill 15:26 24 Feb 2007

The problem here is the network wizard. When you run it, it does not try to make the new PC conform to the existing network but rather expects the network to conform to the Windows XP standard method.

Check that the File & Printer sharing is bound to just the one protocol on each PC and that it is the same one on all PC's.

If you are using fixed IP's. In the hosts file (windows\system32\drivers\etc) on each PC put the IP addresses and names of all of the PCs.

If all else fails (and I know many people hold up a cross and say nooooo) you can try adding NetBUEI to the network connection. Many of my clients use both TCP/IP and NetBUEI on their networks quite happily.

dms05 13:20 25 Feb 2007

I've had problems when some of the PC's run XP Pro and some XP Home. Never solved the problem but it has something to do with the different way Pro and Home handle networking.

moorie- 05:57 28 Feb 2007

here is a useful link try working your way through it,ive just had a similar experience and im a 90% through it.
one point that may specifically interest you is pinging by name as this indicates an issue with the tcp over bios service even if you can ping the address.this is a factor in seeing each other.
i cant see all files shared in network places yet but if i type in \\computer name ie \\dad in my case i can view the shared files.
click here

moorie- 07:07 28 Feb 2007

start/all programs/accesories/windows explorer
once in explorer
my network places
entire network
microsoft windows network

should then see workgroup
click and reveal computers on workgroup
click again and see shared files

easiest way to see share folders is run type
\\workgroup name

finally why dont they just appear in network places?
dont know yet!

moorie- 08:56 28 Feb 2007

final piece once detected by explorer or the \\workgroup method,to get the shared places into my network connections

start
my network connections
add network place wizard

good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?