computer can't detect hdd

Desperate-Dan 14:50 30 Sep 2010

hi, I have a HP Pavilion DV8000 laptop I bought it with out a hdd, I installed a second-hand hdd, Tried to install winxp, but windows can't detect a hdd.

onthelimit 15:07 30 Sep 2010

Is this click here the problem/solution?

Terry Brown 16:40 30 Sep 2010

It could be that the HDD is faulty, or it is not correctly fitted (take out and re-check connections.)

Is the HDD set to slave (one drive should be master.

When you boot up, do you get any noises (dings).and what is the front screen like, when booted.

What was wrong with the original HDD?

Terry

Desperate-Dan 18:46 30 Sep 2010

hi, well I managed to install winexp by going in to bios, and disabled sata controller, my problem now is I can't get on to internet, I've been on the HP web site and downloaded the ethernet NIC driver but in device manager this is what I see.

? Ethernet controller
?Mass storage controller
?Network controller
?PCI device
?SM bus controller
? Unknown device
?Video controller

bugzy-no1 22:25 30 Sep 2010

you need to get a chipset driver for your motherboard and try in bios to load default settings then start on one at a time all drivers that are not working try the hp site for supported drivers for your laptop as when you installed your copy off windows it wont have your laptop drivers
as well if you have set up on raid o or 1 then your disk will only be as one as windows will use both as one you can set up as ide and see if that helps .

Desperate-Dan 13:40 01 Oct 2010

all working fine now, thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?