Computer Building Help...

Hearst555 19:31 16 Jun 2007

Hi,

I've just recieved my components to build my computer yesterday and attempted to install the thing together. The following components I got are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8Ghz
Arctic Freezer Pro 7 CPU Cooler
2GB DDRII PC4200 RAM
Seagate 320GB SATAII Hard drive
LG DVD+/-RW Drive
ASUS P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi Motherboard
ASUS 512MB EN7600GS Silent PCI Express Graphics Card
Antec NEO HE 500w PSU
Antec SOLO Case

I decided to test if the components work fine and it boots up with the PSU and the CPU fans working fine. The motherboard also lights up saying its live too. However, for some reason it won't display anything when I hooked up the monitor cable to my graphics card. Initially it worked as I entered the BIOS before but then it stopped working after I switched the machine off and attempted to switch it back on again later. I tried reinserting the card back in (with the tabs snapped in) and it still won't work. Assuming the card is at fault I bought a different one (this time an ATi X1050 PCi Express) and it still wouldn't work. So I'm not sure whats wrong with it. I do take precautions with anti static packaging and use the wrist straps while I work with it too. As this is my first time building a personal computer some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ambra4 19:37 16 Jun 2007

reseat the memory in the connectors making sure the locking tabs are lock

are you using 2 chips or one if 2 try one at a time you could have bad ram

Hearst555 19:45 16 Jun 2007

Yeah I have 2x 1GB sticks but I have a look to see if the reseating works or using just one. When the computer worked I checked the BIOS and it reported 2048MB of RAM fine. Is it possible to check bad RAM without windows, I haven't got to the stage when I can install Windows XP on it.

ambra4 19:48 16 Jun 2007

not sure, but try them one at a time see if they both work and the pc come up

howard64 20:12 16 Jun 2007

try removing the board from the case and putting it on an insulated surface and see if it starts like that. If so you have a short to the case possibly a stud in the wrong place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires