Computer broke ?

DemonicEnigma 14:48 06 May 2014

My computer turned its self off suddenly so I've left it for a while, tried to turn it on but the power light is on but the fans move for a second but nothing else works. Any suggestions ?

Jollyjohn 14:58 06 May 2014

Failed power supply. A relatively straight forward job to change. Take photos and make notes as you take the old one out. Replacement is just a case of remembering to connect everything. PC World have power supplies from £34.99 - click here is a 350Watt psu that will run a basic computer. The next model up is 430W at £45

This

bumpkin 15:09 06 May 2014

Does it shut down or does the power light remain on.

spuds 15:09 06 May 2014

Is there any form of smell like burning coming from the case or psu?.

For psu replacements I use eBay quite a lot, and never had any problems yet. Prices far cheaper than the like of PCW. Only problem is that any arrangements for courier delivery must be consider.

bumpkin 15:15 06 May 2014

We really need a bit more information here.

DemonicEnigma 15:17 06 May 2014

There is a burning smell and it was quite hot

DemonicEnigma 15:19 06 May 2014

If it's a power supply issue why is the power light working ?

DemonicEnigma 15:23 06 May 2014

Current supply is 750watts . Is £30 a good price for a new one ?

Mr Mistoffelees 15:24 06 May 2014

I suggest you remove the PSU, then you can see if that is the source of the smell. If it is that will confirm it, regardless of it still delivering enough juice to light an led. Otherwise it could be a blown capacitor on the motherboard.

Mr Mistoffelees 15:26 06 May 2014

"Current supply is 750watts . Is £30 a good price for a new one ?"

I would steer well clear of very cheap PSUs. They tend to have poor voltage regulation, don't live up to their claimed output and are often short-lived.

alanrwood 15:31 06 May 2014

Depends on what load is being placed on it. I personally have had no problems with the cheaper power supplies if I use the higher rated ones but rum them on a rig which does not tax them. The OP has a 750 Watt one installed but maybe it is not a requirement. What is the spec of the computer and are you running a hefty video card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?