computer breakdown caused by mobo?

ctm04 18:45 19 Feb 2006

I have an AMD athlon 2800+ pc, running XP Pro. It died and turned out to be the motherboard ASRock K7S41 it failed after 15 months and was replaced with a new one. When the new mobo was fitted, all seemed to be fine... but then the pc died again, after 15 mins! How big is the chance that the new mobo is the cause? or could it be a faulty CPU? PSU is ok. Any ideas? Thanks

spuds 19:03 19 Feb 2006

Seems strange to have a board work okay for 15 months, then a replacement only works for 15 minutes. Could there be a surge problem from the psu, or a short in a connection or cable?.

Have you returned the new board, if so, what was suggested by the supplier/manufacturer?.

ctm04 23:06 19 Feb 2006

Spuds, No, I haven't been in touch yet, this has only just happened. It's very odd I agree and I also thought it must be shorting somewhere .. what else causes it to go? Just component failure? I don't know, that's why I posted this thread. I will contact the supplier tomorrow and see what they suggest, will keep you posted.

ctm04 15:39 24 Feb 2006

Have contacted the supplier and have run through some possibilities, have sent in an RMA request for the mobo as discussed with someone in their technical department, but am still waiting to hear back. This was Monday, have sent another email today, let's hope the supplier will give me some response. Last time they were very efficient.

ctm04 13:05 13 Mar 2006

The supplier replaced the motherboard again and it has been running perfectly for the last few days, it looks like the sudden death was due to component failure last time. Let's hope the computer will keep running for a long time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?