Computer Boots into Safe Mode

twitcher 15:36 02 Mar 2007

A friend of mine has an old Compaq computer running Windows ME. Although it has been running well for many years he has now encountered a major problem. When he starts the computer it boots into safe mode. He can’t get out of safe mode and when he tries to use system restore it doesn’t work.

His anti-virus doesn’t seem to indicate any malware. Has anyone any idea what might be causing the problem?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:41 02 Mar 2007

Can't remember if msconfig works in ME.

Try Start- run - type msconfig press enter check uder all the tabs and see if there is an option to bot to safemode ticked.

handful 15:54 02 Mar 2007

If msconfig doesn't work (which it should I think for ME), try this.

Reboot and just after the POST diagnostics and memory count, start pressing the F8 key. Choose normal startup from the menu and see what happens

zarobian 17:49 02 Mar 2007

Use your startup disk to boot your computer. When prompted select minimum boot.At the DOS prompt.type:

>scanreg /fix press enter

When finished type again:

>scanreg /opt press enter

NOTE: Leave a space between scanreg and forward slash.
If you haven't got ME Start up disk then go to safe mode and select command prompt and follow the instructions as mentoned above.

Hope this works for you.

twitcher 13:47 03 Mar 2007

Thanks for your help everybody, I have passed information on the above fixes to my friend but I'm afraid he's still stuck in "safe" mode. He tells me he is now actively looking for a new computer!!

birdface 16:21 03 Mar 2007

Tell him to try Last good configuration while in safe mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone