Computer booting up in 8 hours!

Aaron-188486 09:04 18 May 2009

I've been booting my comp, runs XP but it is taking 8 hours to boot from the logon screen. Does it sound like a hardware failure?

birdface 09:18 18 May 2009

Sounds like you need a new computer.Make sure none of the air vents are covered in dust or fluff if so inside will also need cleaning out.General clean out using C Cleaner.What security programs have you got installed and have you ran them lately.
it could be lots of things but I will leave that to the experts.

Aaron-188486 09:26 18 May 2009

Unfortunately the computer is so slow that I can't run any programs. The security software is managed via a server which is Sophos. The reason I don't think its software is because the problem starts from the logon screen before any of the program or services are online.

birdface 10:02 18 May 2009

Have you tried running in safe mode[Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts]or will it not start in that either.Like I said this looks like a job for the experts so i will leave it to them.
Maybe tell us what ISP you are using and whether XP or not and maybe how old the computer is.it could be the PSU.Hard Drive.Memory.

Bob The Blob 11:34 18 May 2009

If the computer is so slow that you can't run any programs and it takes 8 hours to boot up then maybe it's time to get a new one...

brundle 11:41 18 May 2009

"The reason I don't think its software is because the problem starts from the logon screen before any of the program or services are online."

It's not taking 8 hours to "boot" then? It boots and loads the login screen normally, then takes hours to join the network?

You need to speak to your network administrator.

birdface 12:30 18 May 2009

Or maybe try the speed test. click here That will tell you what download and upload speed that you are receiving.

birdface 12:41 18 May 2009

Hi.If you remove any Internet connection does your computer run at normal speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?