Computer boot-up problem...

Gaz 25 21:55 20 Jan 2005

A client has got a problem with the PC boot-up. When powered, the PC cut's off, it can do this at any stage, including the BIOS.

I routed this to the PSU, which emmited a faint but audiable buzzing sound. I checked all connections and now that seems resolved, maybe it was a loose ATX connector to the motherboard. The computers have been abused a bit though, as in the fron't facia's were kicked in. :-o Makes me wonder why people stress so much at the box itself when on their other system I found well over 16,000 viruses, yes.... 16,000... and couple of 100,000 spywares/malwares among a series of backdoors, trojans and RAT's... How dangerous.

Anyway, now I have the PC getting to windows, and it goes through all the XP loading things, but then before it's complete it reboots. Does this in safe mode as well.

I have heard that it is to do with memory, this system uses DDR 400 Kingston RAM, with a 400FSB processor, so it should be ok... I think it's a corrupted installation myself.

What do yuo guys think I can try to resolve it?

I've tried repair, but it's disabled. This happens when it's too far corrupt generally.

Regards,
Gareth

Gongoozler 22:05 20 Jan 2005

I really think with all that rubbish that was on there, a format and reinstall is called for.

Totally-braindead 22:09 20 Jan 2005

Agree with Gongoozler a format and clean reinstall is what I'd do as well, bearing in mind all the viruses you discovered.

Dan the Confused 22:10 20 Jan 2005

I had a similar problem once and it was the memory - only showed up when I turned off quick POST in BIOS. It was solved just by reseating the memory.

However, I agree with Gongoozler.

Gaz 25 22:27 20 Jan 2005

I'll give those a go.

These are actually systems that I built for this customer, and again, he's wrecked them.

I told you sometime back, that he was wanting free replacements, etc, etc and clean-ups of viruses....

he also gets annoyed at every format, but considering the amount of viruses, what can you expect?

The PC runs stable on benchmarks so...

anyway, I'll check the memory and then reinstall if fails.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?