Computer beeping and crashing on shutdown

The Belarussian Mafia 21:13 19 Feb 2004

Anyone know what the beeping sound signifies? I'm running Win 98. On shutdown I got a frantic beeping noise from the computer, accompanied by a series of wierd black lines across the (frozen) "Windows is shutting down" screen. The beeping stopped when I did ctrl-alt-del, but I had to then hit the 'off' button.

anon1 21:45 19 Feb 2004

The beeps could be any number of things, most likely a corupted sound file played during shutdown. Try removing sounds at shutdown in control panel also click here

Rennaissance 21:48 19 Feb 2004

hang on this beeping coming from the tower? It wouldn't be a sound file then as it is the system speaker. How do the beeps go?

The Belarussian Mafia 22:33 19 Feb 2004

Rennaissance - you're right, the sound comes from the CPU, not the speakers. It was a series of rapidly (continuously) repeated loud beeps.

(Thanks annon1, but in this case the speakers were switched off.)

anon1 11:13 20 Feb 2004

I would suggest you follow my previous link to shutdown problems. A series of rapid beeps as you suggest could indicate that something is trying to run during shutdown a similar state can be recreated when the system hangs if you press keys repeatedly eg ctrl/alt/del. Try using ctrl alt del and close all programs that may be running. If it works then you will at least have a clue.

anon1 11:13 20 Feb 2004

oops should have added after closing all programs then try the windows shutdown

The Belarussian Mafia 17:59 20 Feb 2004

Thanks anon1. I haven't got time to look at the site you mentioned just now, but I'll have a good look in the next few days. Nice one. ???????.

greenlamp 00:41 21 Feb 2004

Check that no keys are sticking down, I've had a very simular problem within the las week and the cause was the backspace key sticking down.

Giggle n' Bits 00:46 21 Feb 2004

sounds like its overheating due to a fan failure.
Let machine go cold really cold like off for a few hours and it will run longer but if you reboot from warm your talking seconds.

The Belarussian Mafia 18:15 21 Feb 2004

Thanks greenlamp - an unexpected suggestion. Maybe my keyboard is acting up, and if so there isn't much to worry about. (I'm not sure how to check this though.)
Valco - I can hear the fan churning away, so I presume it's OK. Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?