Computer automatically shutting down and not able to restart

katrina.oconnor.568 10:16 13 Sep 2013

OK I'll be the first to admit I'm a computer numpty, and I use and abuse my computer.

I don't know the exact model (can find out later tonight if needed), but it is a fairly old HP running Windows Vista.

Normally I would set my computer to "sleep" rather than shutting down (as it takes over 15 minutes to boot up and become usable normally). Over the course of the past week I have found that it wont wake up.

The hard drive will make all of the appropriate whirrs etc, but what ever happens just doesn't make it through to the monitor. It has taken approximately 4 or 5 "hard" restarts (using the on/off button) to get as far as displaying something, which is always then "MS windows didn't shut down correctly..." then asking "do you want to do a system restore or open windows normally"

Last night, I had something different and it went through some kind of thorough check - it was taking ages so I left it to get on with whatever it was doing, and when I came back it had gone to sleep and again wouldn't wake up.

I really just need to reboot properly one more time so I can make a back up of everything on the hard drives so I can buy a new computer. I thought I would be able to make it to Christmas when I'm back in the UK, but it appears that the problem is terminal and declining fast.

Any help or advice would be great. I'll try to give as much information as possible, but all of the background language of the computer is in French, and although my conversational French is passable, anything technical goes straight over my head.

Nontek 11:14 13 Sep 2013

This sounds like a over-heating problem. When was the PC last cleaned out, physically? Could well be a built-up of dirt/fluff inside, this not unusual. Probably just needs a good clean-out, carefully using a vacuum cleaner and a soft brush, including all internal fans and grills.

Press Man 11:16 13 Sep 2013

Is this a laptop or desktop?

wee eddie 11:45 13 Sep 2013

I'm with Nontek.

Try a simple clean-up.

Borrow a hair drier > Unplug the PC, all of it (If you are worried about where all the wires go - take a photo with your phone first) > Take one Side off > take it outside > give it a good blow out.

If you want to get down and dirty > find a 1" natural bristle paint brush, the plastic/nylon bristles hold a static charge too easily > gentle use the tips to loosen any dirt on the fan blades and between the fins of the Mother Board's cooler. Do not stick it in the Power Supply box. It's condensers carry a, potentially, nasty shock

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:52 13 Sep 2013

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding as another key may be needed to access the Repair/recovery options.

1. Start your PC

2. If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3. If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Windows operating system and Press the F8 key

4. An Advanced Tools menu options screen will now appear

5. Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6. Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7. Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8. The recovery options should now appear

Windows Installation Disk

NOTE

Make sure your PC is set to boot directly from the Windows DVD, most modern PCs are set this way. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

1. Start the PC

2. Immediately insert the Windows DVD into the DVD drive

3. A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD', Press Any key to start the booting process

4. The 'Windows is loading files' screen will now appear with a progress bar.

5. After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

6. You will next see a Blue curtained screen

7. Next the Language option screen will appear Select your langua

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding as another key may be needed to access the Repair/recovery options.

1. Start your PC

2. If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3. If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Windows operating system and Press the F8 key

4. An Advanced Tools menu options screen will now appear

5. Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6. Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7. Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8. The recovery options should now appear

Windows Installation Disk

NOTE

Make sure your PC is set to boot directly from the Windows DVD, most modern PCs are set this way. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

1. Start the PC

2. Immediately insert the Windows DVD into the DVD drive

3. A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD', Press Any key to start the booting process

4. The 'Windows is loading files' screen will now appear with a progress bar.

5. After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

6. You will next see a Blue curtained screen

7. Next the Language option screen will appear Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

8. At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

9. The System recovery options will now search for your Windows installation

10. Once the Windows installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

11. The set of recovery options now appears, Click on the Option you require and follow the on screen prompts

Repair / Recovery Options

• Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
  • System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
  • Windows Complete PC Restore (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)- If you don't have a backup then don't use this option This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from the back up that you have previously created. Any other data will be lost
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
  • Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires