Computer All of a sudden won't Bootup-please Help!

Shikaree 00:48 26 Jan 2010

Hi Folks,

My computer won't Booup. I get a window where its Highlighted "Bootup Normally." I can't into Safe Mode from there. Please HELP!!

Shikaree

Shikaree 00:50 26 Jan 2010

SORRY forgot to say OS - XP Pro

Shikaree

daxian 12:17 26 Jan 2010

hi shikaree.....
there are several options at the boot up normally screen ...
choose last known good configuration.
this should sort the problem ....if not post back.
Dave

Shikaree 15:47 26 Jan 2010

Hi Dave,

I can't move up to that CHOOSE LAST CONFIGURATION as I'm stuck on "Start Windows Normally" or something. it automatically counts down to 0 and starts booting again to "Microsoft Windows XP window and goes back to Start Windows Normally. Can't use up/down keys to go anywhere.

I hit Delete to go to setup and my Hard Drive seems Ok then. Now I can't to that too.

Shikaree

chub_tor 16:20 26 Jan 2010

If you can't move the highlight then it sounds as if your keyboard is not being recognised take a look at this click here

Shikaree 16:47 26 Jan 2010

Hi chub_tor,

Thanks for the LINK. I have checked it out but I can't move from START WINDOWS NORMALLY. I can hit delete and go to Setup and my Hard Drive is showing there OK.

But won't work to move up to Safe Mode or any where else.

chub_tor 17:11 26 Jan 2010

Are you trying to scroll up and down the options using the arrow keys on the keyboard? Is it a laptop where the arrow keys are combined with the nuber pad? (if so you would have to have the NUM Lock light off).

Shikaree 17:33 26 Jan 2010

YES, I'M TRYING TO SCROLL UP & DOWN THE OPTIONS, USING THE FOUR ARROW KEYS, BOTTON RIGHT OF KEYBOARD. NOT THE ARROW/NUMBER KEYS.

MY KEYBOARD IS A MICROSOFT WIRELESS MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD 1.1 FOR MY TOWER CASE COMPUTER. IT HAS A WIRELESS OPTICAL RECEIVER 2.1 CONNECTED TO USB 1.1. TRIED IT OUT ON USB 2 BUT DOES NOT RESPOND TO WHEN I HIT DELETE.

chub_tor 17:39 26 Jan 2010

Your keyboard is not being detected - probably because it is wireless - have you checked the batteries in the keyboard? You would be wise to try a regular non wireless keyboard either a USB one or preferably a PS2 one. Can you borrow one temporarily?

Shikaree 17:44 26 Jan 2010

I'LL TRY CHANGING HE BATTERIES NOW. I HAVE A MAC USB KEYBOARD & MOUSE ATTACHED TO MY IMAC24. I TRY TO CONNECT THIS TO MY PC

chub_tor 17:55 26 Jan 2010

I don't think that Mac keyboards are compatible with windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017