Compression Programs

legalrep 18:08 09 Feb 2006

I have just purchased a 1gb flash drive and am attempting to save all my photos etc to it, I still do not have enough room for them all, Im thinking about a compression program, what would be a good choice. I am aware of winzip and winrap both have been recommended, any thoughts or other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Skyver 18:23 09 Feb 2006

If your pics are jpegs or gifs they will barely compress at all anyway. Izarc or 7Zip are free if you want to try click here

Skyver 18:24 09 Feb 2006

You'd save much more space by optimising the images or reducing their size (in terms of height & width ) - Irfanview will do that click here

Skyver 18:29 09 Feb 2006

Just an aside, if you use the batch converter in Irfanview, select your flash drive as the destination folder rather than overwriting your original pictures, you can remove those yourself when you're happy the converted images are of acceptable quality.

legalrep 18:39 09 Feb 2006

thanks skyver just had a look on the link you provided and I've just downloaded winzip 10, it says its a evaluation version nothing about only having 30 days etc which is what an older version use to say on my and old laptop. So thats ideal real result!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?