compression help

geedad 19:14 16 Sep 2007

I have a 5.2GB mpeg file, and I want to author this to a DVD. However, the DVD recording media has a maximum capacity of 4.7GB.
I cannot use DvDShrink because it is on my hard drive and not a separate DVD.
Anyone know of a suitable compression program,m say, to reduce from 5.2GB to just less than 4.7GB?
geedad

steve stifler 19:17 16 Sep 2007

from shrink select open files instead of open disc

eedcam 19:23 16 Sep 2007

As said with shrink if its a Ts folder select open files if its an Iso image select disc image

geedad 19:35 16 Sep 2007

steve stifler
Thanks for your very prompt reply. I have tried that. However,DVDshrink does not recognize the file, and "needs to close"!
The video that I am trying to reduce in size was on a DVD. It was too loud ( my autistic grandson insisted on playing it at its loudest!), and I wanted to redo it and lower the volume (loudness). I therefore copied it to my hard drive from my DVD player, using Sony Giga Pocket software. However, when I tried to author it, using TMpgenc, it came up as too large a file.
I tried DVDShrink, but it did not recognize the file. If I could find a compression utility to reduce it to just under 4.7GB, I will be home and dry!
Thanks again,
geedad

geedad 19:39 16 Sep 2007

eedcam
Thanks, please see my reply to steve stifler
geedad

tullie 19:41 16 Sep 2007

Silly question but cant you just turn sound down on whatever your using it on?

pj123 19:54 16 Sep 2007

Does your DVD burner accept Dual Layer?

If so, just buy a Dual Layer DVD (8.5gb)

geedad 19:58 16 Sep 2007

tullie
If you are referring to the original DVD played on my DVD player, the answer to your question is YES - if I were using it just myself - it is a simple matter of turning the volume control down. However, as I indicated in my reply to steve stifler, when my AUTISTIC grandson plays it on the DVD player, he insists on maximum volume!
With all of my future DVD authoring, I now reduce the volume on my authoring sofware, and it works fine. This is hopefully, just a particular, one-off DVD that he is obsessed with, and because of his condition, I don't want to throw it out, but just work on it to produce another, with a lower volume.
He is, of course, not being awkward or naughty. It is how autistic people are, and I am trying to keep him happy.
geedad

geedad 20:04 16 Sep 2007

pj123

Yes, I have a LG Dual Layer Multi-Format writer, and that is a good idea. ( But a compression utilty would be nice to have!)
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?