Compressing a VOB file ??

WallyD 13:51 20 May 2004

Long in the tooth I maybe but I still like to try and keep up to the modern stuff but must rely on mags and you good people. Nuff said.
Using DVD Shrink I removed a few VOB files which I found out I could run these in Power DVD.
How can I compress these VOBs to fit onto a CD.
Before anyone sugests I,m doing anything illegal then forget it as I just play around with my computer and get satisfaction from doing this.
Many thanks

Diodorus Siculus 16:08 20 May 2004

You can't compess them, but you can convert them to, say DivX using Vidomi, or any one of numerous programs. click here

struggle8 16:34 20 May 2004

do you have a dvd burner or just the basic cdr/rw what burning software do you have

struggle8 16:36 20 May 2004

you could look here click here

scotty 16:39 20 May 2004

VOB files are basically mpeg files. These are already heavily compressed. Further compression leads to a degredation of the quality.

Having said that, you already have a tool which compresses VOB's - DVDshrink. One of the main uses of DVDshrink is to compress two layer DVDs on to single layer discs. I think there is a manual option for defining the amount of compression.

What is worth considering is the resolution required. DVDs have 720 x 576 resolution. If you wish to display on a pc in a small window, you may only need a resolution of say 200 x 150. I suspect you will get better results converting them as suggested above.

WallyD 17:48 20 May 2004

Thank you folks
The answer to struggle 8 is :-
No dvd burner just CD burning with Nero
Thank you

WallyD 18:12 20 May 2004

Thanks again
Youv,e given me plenty of ammo to be going on with
or should I say "plenty to play with"
cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone