Compressing mpeg Video Files.

audeal 19:46 10 Jun 2009

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to compress mpg Video Files so I can archive my films and documentary's. If so what programs will handle this job. So far I have only compressed a file of 2.0gb by a total of 0.07gb giving a compressed file of 2.2gb. Not enough to save space. I have a 500gb drive on my XP Pro which is filling up fast. If it can't be done then I may have to delete these files and forget about keeping them.

Thanks for any help you may offer. Audeal

Fingees 20:10 10 Jun 2009

Why not put them on to DVD, or CD according to size.
Blanks are cheap enough, and wont take up room on hard drive.

Just a thought.

audeal 21:07 10 Jun 2009

Hi Fingees. Some files will not fit on a CD because of the size of the files. Some DVD's are only big enough for one or two films at full size. That is why I want to compress them smaller. Maybe archiving them is not such a good idea.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on this subject.

InTheCity 21:34 10 Jun 2009

convert with click here
to less space hungry format?

audeal 12:29 12 Jun 2009

InTheCity: I have downloaded and installed this program and it seems to convert to AVI format which is not a compressed format whereas mpeg is a compressed file. So therefore this does not do what I want. I have come to the conclusion that I can not reduce the mpeg files any smaller than they are now. So I will have to delete the files from my system.

I do have the films on DVD's but I just wanted to keep the originals in case any of my DVD's should become damaged.

Thanks for your help. Audeal

UK Sub 12:56 12 Jun 2009

If you get an external hard drive. You could move all your movies on to that.

1TB USB Hard Drives are only around £70 now
click here

InTheCity 13:18 12 Jun 2009

Ive just converted a 3.8gig mpeg to 1400 mb avi saving 2.4gig hard drive space using autogk.apologies,i thought you were trying to save space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?