compress video 4 web

jonostar 22:39 13 Dec 2006

Hi All

I have cut a 90 second version of a film we made and want to send it to people via email or stream from a web site, the quality needs to be good, everything I seem to try looks bad (such as myspace, quicktime compress...)

Can anyone tell me what I need to do?
It is ok if the video is small ie: 180:144 res but must be clear as this is for advertising purposes.

I run a PC with adobe premiere pro and encore dvd, lots of RAM blah blah blah...

sean-278262 04:15 14 Dec 2006

First off you seem to not know what compress means. It means to make it smaller. Furthermore there are 2 types. Lossy - information is thrown away (best compression). Lossless - information is compressed but nothing is thrown away (least compression). Provided the video is most likely in mpg it would be better compressed with little loss to avi. Google iriverter. Install it and then find the profiles folder, create a new one for your file type and then set other settings then using the original file compress at different bit rates and see which is best.

For the size you are looking at it would likely be about 2mb a minute aka a file of about 3mb should be doable however you dont give us anything more than how long the file is so I cant help any more than giving a vague answer.

jonostar 19:16 16 Dec 2006

hi
The file is currently dv avi, uncompressed. It is 24 frames per second, it is 720 by 576 resolution and is over 2 gigabytes in size.

I am confused, is mpeg not smaller than avi? if i use .avi then that would mean using a compression ratio... which one is the one your program uses? cinepac?, intel indeo? - all of these would be larger than MPEG.

As I use premiere pro, i already have a program that converts video file types with different compression settings.

xx

jonostar 17:02 05 Jan 2007

any further advise plz.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?