Component Upgrade for Video Editing

pyro87 11:51 26 Dec 2012
Answered

Hi All,

Hope Santa was good to everyone!

I'm after some advice regarding my desktop setup - I just have a basic Dell Inspiron. When doing HD video editing (nothing fancy, just home videos) the loading time and general time it takes to produce the videos is very slow.

According to the windows experience rating the lack of graphics card may be the culprit. I currently have none; it's running on board graphics only. The rest of the PC spec isn't amazing but it's acceptable for what I need. 4GB of DDR3 RAM, 750GB HDD, Intel Core Duo E7500 ~ 2.94GHz.

Based on the above information what do you think would be the best way to spend £100 making the performance better for the application mentioned? It may be worthwhile to mention I'm just using Windows Movie Maker and running Windows 7.

Thanks,

Rich

hastelloy 16:52 26 Dec 2012
Answer

If you are using 64 bit, you could increase your memory - assuming your MB can take more. Otherwise a graphics card would free up some of your existing memory. No doubt others will advise on graphics cards if that's the best route.

I hope you have your home videos (as well as everything else) backed up - preferably on an external HDD. If you only have 1 HDD at present you would lose everything if it failed.

pyro87 17:53 26 Dec 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the reply :)

I am using a 64 bit OS. The current RAM is 4x1GB 240pin 1066MHz DDR3 DIMM. Its been a long time since I played with PC's and I'm unsure what my best option to go up to 8GB would be.

Would the motherboard be Okay with something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9-1600MHz-Vengeance-Memory/dp/B004CRSM4I/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&qid=1356544228&sr=8-1

I have access to a graphics card to try (an Asus GT440 1GB DDR5) so I'll see if that makes any difference as well.

Thanks again marvin42

Woolwell 18:28 26 Dec 2012

I have found that HD video editing requires plenty of RAM. Graphics card will make a difference too but you need to check that your PSU can provide sufficient power. A fast HD will help plus a quad core cpu.

I use Serif MoviePlus X6.

hastelloy 20:12 26 Dec 2012

For more memory go to Crucial. Use the scanner to see what is recommended. I would always buy from Crucial for reliability but there are cheaper alternatives.

If you're thinking of video editing software you can't beat Adobe Premiere Elements (IMHO).

lotvic 00:18 27 Dec 2012

I agree with marvin42, best to check with Crucial scanner before you buy more ram. You haven't said if pc came with W7 64bit or if you installed it (instead of XP or Vista). My Dell motherboard will only take 4GB max although it is fully compliant with W7 64bit (I have that on a separate harddrive and swap between it and XP)

hastelloy 09:45 27 Dec 2012

Whatever you do, please get something like THIS for backups. I have all of my video, photos, music etc on at least 2 different external HDDs - belt & braces but I don't worry about losing anything!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017