Component Transfer error message

Daxsimus 16:33 13 Nov 2008

Hi all,
I have just bought a game for my daughter and tried to install it this afternoon.
It has 2 discs to install the first installs fine then asks for the second disc to be put in the drive it starts to install then stops and the error "component transfer error" comes up and it just freezes and I have to shut down.
Any ideas as to what is causing this and how to fix the problem.
Many thanks

Technotiger 16:49 13 Nov 2008

It sounds to me like a probable damaged disk - I would advise you to ask for a replacement.

Technotiger 16:50 13 Nov 2008

Also when you have the replacement, run click here before you try the re-installation, this should clear any left-overs from the part loaded game.

Daxsimus 17:00 13 Nov 2008

Could be a damaged disc then as you say as I bought it from Amazon Marketplace so it is not new. Any ideas to fix it if I cannot exchange?

Technotiger 17:03 13 Nov 2008

There is a slight possibility that simply cleaning it with Cleaning solution, and a soft cloth might get it working again. If you do this, wipe the CD from centre to outer edge, not in a circular motion.

Technotiger 17:04 13 Nov 2008

... as used for cleaning Audio Cassettes and CD's.

Daxsimus 17:24 13 Nov 2008

Right I'll give that a go now thanks

Daxsimus 18:37 13 Nov 2008

Right tried that no luck. Gets to 95% and stops with the error message. Anything else I could try? What would stop a program from installing? The discs themselves look as new.

Technotiger 18:44 13 Nov 2008

Hmm, doesn't look too good, however, you could also try running a CD ROM Cleaning disc in the drive, making sure that the laser is good and clean - just a chance it could make the difference.

Technotiger 18:56 13 Nov 2008

You could also try copying the contents of the game disc(s) to a folder on your desktop and manually starting the install from the folder by taking the following steps:

1. Create a new folder on your Desktop by right-clicking and selecting 'New' and then 'Folder'. Rename the folder with the game name.

2. Put Disc 1 in your disc drive and navigate to the drive by right-clicking it in My Computer and selecting ‘Open’.

3. Select all game files and drag them from the disc into the folder you created on your Desktop.

4. Once all files have copied over, remove Disc 1 and put Disc 2 in your disc drive. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for Disc 2.

5. Once all files have copied over, open the folder and double-click on the setup.exe file to start installation.

This should start the install process - with fingers crossed!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?