Completely wiping a hard drive

the-george 10:23 12 Jan 2005

I have a number of older PCs that I play around with - trying out programs, testing bits of hardware etc. Sometimes I get second hand drives that have been formatted but I know that this does not totally destroy the stuff that was on the drive - i.e. it could be recovered. Because I often know nothing about the previous users I would like to be able to ensure that no data remains prior to putting my stuff on. Does anyone know of an application - preferably free download - that can do this?

rawprawn 10:35 12 Jan 2005

click here It's not free but it is really good. I think it will wipe your drive on trial without all the features enabled, but it;s not expensive. Another is Eraser click here which is free

seedie 10:40 12 Jan 2005

You could dowload a utility disk from drive's manufacturer and write zeros to it.

From time to time I do the same thing as you and I've found a re-format adequate.

Completealias 10:56 12 Jan 2005

Killdisk is a free prog that will do the job for ya you can find it here click here and can be placed on a bootable floppy.

Hope this helps

Sethhaniel 10:58 12 Jan 2005

Restoration Version 2.5.14

free utility for file recovery - but also can cover your harddrive in x's to delete all files

click here

;)

ACOLYTE 11:01 12 Jan 2005

I think format/fdisk should sort this,you should already have these apps on the cd or windows floppy if you have one.

the-george 13:23 12 Jan 2005

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Will try most of them over time but downloaded the Killdisk Boot floppy creator as this seemed the easiest way to do what I want.

I think that after using this - the free version does only one pass - then fdisking and formatting it would take serious effort to retrieve data if that is possible at all.

One note - after using killdisk on a drive I booted up from an Win95 floppy with CD drivers which I have used a lot and is normally very good with older CD-drives - the drive was not detected in DOS. Tried a WIN ME boot disk and this did find it and told me that there was no valid partition. I expected this of course and used fdisk but it is a point to consider.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires