completely remove norton 360

rubygxx 08:46 28 Sep 2010

Hi i am trying to get rid of norton 360, it has been removed from ad remove progs, but it was still listed as ON in control panel - security centre, therefore i cant install avg , as it wants me to remove norton first and i thought i had, i found instructions on Dave Taylors site about manually removing /deleting all files and folders relating to norton, right through registry too, but it is still showing up as ON in the windows security centre, i dont know what to do next , i need to shift this so i can get a decent antivirus, can you advise on what best to do, thanks

gengiscant 08:53 28 Sep 2010
  mgmcc 08:55 28 Sep 2010

Go to this page on the Symantec website for instructions and the "Removal Tool" for Norton 360. click here

rubygxx 09:13 28 Sep 2010

I have been on here, but as i do not know what norton 360 version it is , i did not know what one to go for , the lass whoes laptop it is , bought the norton from a shop but she does not have the cd now and she does not know what version it was ! not a lot of help really,so i was not sure what to do

Andsome 09:16 28 Sep 2010

I used several removal tools and still had remnants of Norton on the computer. Even editing the registry did not remove it completely. A reinstall of Windows finally did the trick. This dreaded program will never get anywhere near to my computer again.

People recommend some of the free one, but I swear by ESET Nod 32 security suite, it is worth every single penny. E mail and telephone help are both available in GB. If you do go down this route,download it to a memory stick before reinstalling, so that you don't need to go on line unprotected.

gengiscant 09:42 28 Sep 2010

Just use this one click here

rubygxx 08:53 29 Sep 2010

Thank you very much for that link, ,worked brilliantly !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?