Complete shutdown!

elizabethann 21:58 07 Sep 2006

My desktop PC has completely shut down and I can't access anything. Any ideas? My PC is 4 years old. Perhaps I should upgrade. Any suggestions as to the best desktop P.C./ price?
I would still like to get access to the files on my old laptop.

Jak_1 22:07 07 Sep 2006

Could you be a tad more specific! Are the power lights on? do you get the bios beeps?

Could be your hdd has died!

skell 22:13 07 Sep 2006

sorry to sound confused but you say your pc has completely shut down.. do you mean it just doesnt work no more? wont boot up? you can't access anything? in what way are you not able to access anything. also you say you would still like to get access to the files on 'my old laptop'. laptop? whats wrong with your laptop? you first state an issue with a desktop.

My pc is 4 years old and runs ok.. if you want to upgrade it all depends on what you are going to use it for. Gaming? then yes it might be worth doing so. But first lets see if we can fix you initial problem/s

Anyways,

elizabethann 13:45 08 Sep 2006

It became more and more difficult to boot up the desktop and it just got worse and worse and I suppose I should have tried to fix it at that stage but now there is absolutely nothing. The lights don't come on at all. I can't boot up and therefore can't access my files. I would like to either fix the PC or take the files off and at the moment I am using an old laptop. I seemed to have a problem initially opening pictures on the internet on my desktop. My daughter uses games and she also had problems with the desktop shuting down. Re a new PC, I've just seen an advert on the TV for a Dell desk top for £499 but have heard bad things re getting things fixed by Dell. I want a desktop with the normal microsoft package on plus accounting, desktop publishing and photography/image type software and games.

Jak_1 20:17 08 Sep 2006

Could be that you need a new PSU, also have you checked the fuse in the plug?

If it's the PSU then these are relatively cheap to replace.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:26 08 Sep 2006

1. check fuse
2. check cable in back of PC
3. check socket works if something elese plugged in
4. check wiring in plug if not moulded type plug.
5. CHECK psu IS SET TO 250v
6. check switch on rear on PC IS ON

PSU TEST
click here
click here

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

skell 22:50 08 Sep 2006

you really sound like you would prefer to upgrade. The dell package is ok but here are some links for you to look at..

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?