Complete PC Backup

mark3986 10:23 02 Mar 2010

how do i do a complete back up of my laptop so i can upgrade to windows 7 ultimate 64bit because mine laptop at the mo is vista 32 bit and i want to keep everything thats on my laptop thanks

Technotiger 10:49 02 Mar 2010

The only way to upgrade in your particular situation, is to do a Clean Install of Win 7. So you will need to back-up anything important to an external hard drive or other media, then run the Install for Win 7.

Diemmess 12:22 02 Mar 2010

If in addition, you still want to keep a working (Vista) version of "everything thats on my laptop," then there is a lot of complex scene shifting to be done.

Ian in Northampton 17:24 02 Mar 2010

It should be fairly simple to back up your data files to a DVD (don't forget your email files - if Outlook, find your .pst files and reimport them when you reinstall). However, I think I'm right in saying, you're going to have to reinstall all your programs. And: make sure you know what drivers you need, and store them in a safe place. You might also want to run whatever the Vista equivalent is of the XP Files & Settings Transfer Wizard. (And if you don't, make sure you export all your Favorites and Cookies to somewhere safe too so you can reimport them).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires