Competence level required to install ssd in old de

marycamacho 00:10 28 Jun 2017

I have a recently "dead" dell inspiron desktop & would like to improve its performance by installing an SSD. I have never opened up my pc but have no problem following onscreen or manual instruction eg installing new modems/printers/wifi boosters/TV set top boxes etc. Would I be taking on something way above my competence level? Apologies if I haven't explained this very clearly. Many thanks in advance for any help.

beeuuem~2 00:58 28 Jun 2017

If you have no qualms about opening the case it shouldn't be beyond you. I've recently talked my 72 year-old totally non technical sister through removing and replacing a hard drive.

The cautionary note is to follow the correct safety procedures to protect you and the electronics.

Are you certain that it is the only hard drive that is the problem?

marycamacho 12:19 28 Jun 2017

Thank you for your encouraging response. I am far from being sure that it is only the hard drive that is the problem. It has run slower and slower for several months and freezing when trying to load apps or new tabs. I have tried removing & reinstalling some apps but no improvement. Yesterday pc booted up but nothing at all loaded.... just the rolling wheel. Overnight I un plugged everything from wall and from pc and when started it appears to be working though very slowly. Thank you again for any advice you can offer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:55 28 Jun 2017

you may find that a fresh install of the operating system will be all you need without buying an ssd.

What op system are you using windows 10?

Make sure you back up any data photos etc. back up the drivers and have the install files and password / serial keys before starting.

If its win 8.1 / 10 then you can just do a "reset" without keeping data or try a reset keeping data first.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)