Compatible wireless router for Virgin Cable modem

bejewelled 15:42 16 Jul 2010

Hi all, am struggling with this!
We've got a virgin cable modem, which attaches to our laptop (via ethernet) and provides us with broadband.
What we /want/ to do is make the laptop actually portable, with a wireless router. However it seems most routers require a 'base PC'(wired from router to PC with ethernet) to create a wireless network. Is there not a router that will do this?
It's driving us absolutely crazy!

Strawballs 01:34 17 Jul 2010

No you will need to connect your laptop to the router by wire to set it up but once done it can then be dissconnected and used wirelessly

You need to make sure you get a cable (DSL) router and not a combined modem/router (ADSL) for connections via telephone wire (BT)

click here Any one of these will do but I would go for the 802.11n rather than 802.11g for better range if your laptop is compatible (depending on age usually) so I would ignore the top 2 on the list and go for ones with at least 4 ports unless you never intend to add to your network.

Strawballs 01:37 17 Jul 2010

click here this can be useful

mgmcc 10:52 18 Jul 2010

>>> However it seems most routers require a 'base PC'(wired from router to PC with ethernet) to create a wireless network.

It's actually a "chicken & egg" situation - you cannot connect wirelessly because it isn't set up and you cannot set it up because you cannot connect wirelessly!

Hence the reason that the INITIAL SETUP ONLY must be done with a wired ethernet connection.

bejewelled 12:44 18 Jul 2010

Thanks. Can anyone please suggest a reasonably priced (on the cheaper end) cable router that would do the job?

mgmcc 16:26 18 Jul 2010

From the page that 'Strawballs' linked to, this click here appears to be good value. This is the router which I use with Virgin Cable click here

gerryg31 20:43 29 Sep 2010

Some of you may be interested in what I managed to get from Virgin today. I have been trying to get a wireless modem router for free but no success as I am only on L broadband. Today after threatening to cancel my total package with them,which costs me £71 plus per month, they now tell me they supply a wireless N router for £4.99 which is being posted today. Await with bayted breath.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?