Compatibility of wireless Routers and WLAN cards

bazza11 18:05 27 Oct 2007

My new Dell Inpiron 530 desktop with a WL-138G_V2 WLAN card was delivered last week and I have tried to set it up with my new Aol wireless router, a Netgear DG834Gv3. After unsuccessful phone calls to both Aol and Dell I have got nowhere. Dell tells me that the card they supplied is "not compatible with Vista" and told me to go to a high street shop to buy a compatible one, although they couldn't tell me what was compatible! They are only going to refund me the cost of the card they built into my new computer.
Should I buy a Netgear WG311v3 Destop PC adaptor, or a WG111v2 USB adaptor, or something else? My laptop connects OK to the wireless network. Many thanks.

brundle 18:28 27 Oct 2007

A quick google suggests that device /is/ compatible with Vista, here's the driver from Asus' site;
click here

Can't link you to the page itself, the top level doesn't change at all when you are locating driver software. Try this click here

Spark6 19:46 27 Oct 2007

Are the desktop and router close enough to use an ethernet cable?

bazza11 22:20 31 Oct 2007

Have now been refunded by Dell but still no info from them on best PCI adapter. Should I stick with Netgear and go for the WG311? I have read so many conflicting reports on Amazon.

19falcon70 15:14 12 Jan 2008

Interesting. I ordered a Dell online, and the ONLY option I wanted was a wireless modem. I wanted Vista (I thought)but was prompted: 'only works with XP', so I HAD to get XP. Fine.

They SENT me Vista, with this card 'WS-138G_V2', and it worked, albeit slowly due to Vista. I made them send me XP disks, and now this card doesn't work! Opposite stories!!

19falcon70 15:17 12 Jan 2008

That was 'WL-...', NOT WS

bazza11 16:16 12 Jan 2008

I have ended up removing the card and connecting via an ethernet cable. This works fine as the router is close by, although it gives me less flexbility should I want to move my desktop sometime in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?