compatibility problem...

arminmckidd 16:31 21 Dec 2007

hey, im in need of a little help and advice on building my first pc.
i know quite a bit about computers, just not the building side of it. what i need help with is mainly compatibility issues and whether a particular component is just not good enough. also some general advice about the building process would help greatly. here are my components:

Motherboard:
XFX N680i LT socket LGA775 motherboard (misco.co.uk) OR
ECS 650iSLIT-A nForce 650 LGA Socket 775 Motherboard (aria.co.uk)

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail (teckheads.co.uk)

Graphics card:
XFX 512Mb nVidia GeForce 8800 GT PCI-Express VGA Card (eclipsecomputers.co.uk)

Memory:
OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2048) NVIDIA SLI - Ready Edition DDR2 PC2 6400 800MHz Dual Channel EPP 5-4-4-15 Nvidia XTC Heatspreader (eclipsecomputers.co.uk)

Hard Drive(s):
Western Digital Caviar 500GB S300 16mb 7200rpm (dabs.com) (X2)

DVDRW Drive:
LiteON LH-20A1S-10C 20x DVDRWRAM SATA Beige (aria.co.uk) (X2)

PSU:
No idea how much is enough to power this system??

Case:
Thermaltake Soprano SECC Black, Window VB1000BWS (dabs.com)

also what kind of cables will i need. will i need to buy any coolers for the cpu or case? and am i missing anything essential?

thanks in advance!

brundle 19:29 21 Dec 2007

Looks like a powerful spec. Suitable cables ought to be supplied with the various components but picking up a couple of extra SATA cables would be a good idea. Intel CPUs come with a decent stock cooler - works fine but go for something better if you plan to overclock. Good quality 600w+ PSU to power that lot, one that delivers at least 24 amps on the 12v line(s) - requirement for the 8800GT apparently.
Bear in mind you won't see the full 4gb if you install a 32bit version of Windows, only about 3-3.5gb. click here

Totally-braindead 19:45 21 Dec 2007

I would like to point one thing out. You are using 5 different suppliers so bear in mind postage costs.
Better to use 2 suppliers if you can also its worth bearing in mind that unless you have a particular reason to pick a particular motherboard etc you will probably find you can get a prebuilt system cheaper.
Mind you its a lot fun to build your own and you do learn a lot so upgrading becomes less worrying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone