Compaq XP Disc (full copy?)

User-6D9C7ECD-6DDA-4B14-9C396D58713D0EC1 13:22 24 Apr 2004

Hello

Well on this beautifull day i am sure some of you will be trawling the help rooms!

My father has a Compaq Presario 1500 (US) that has slowly been going off the rails. Tried every other solution and it now seems a full fresh install is required after a full format.

He has all the CD's that Compaq provided him with including an XP Home disc, can you do a full install off one of these vendor discs? Is there a way to check whether the disc he has is a full copy or a restore/mend disc??

All advive welcome

ps. He bought the machine in the USA if that makes a difference.

rickimalone 13:33 24 Apr 2004

Have a system restore disk set of four disk's that will restore the machine to it's original state......... Do you have these disk's first????

Find these before trying to reinstall OS...
If you dont have them Compaq support UK will send you them for £4.99 shipping......

Yes he has the full set of discs, though he is in Glasgow and i am in Windsor, so doing this over the phone!!

When you use these restore discs i assume you still need to back up all your files first?

Will this have the same effect as reinstalling from scratch, i have only reinstalled using a full copy of XP pro so this is a little new to me.

Cheers

rickimalone 16:58 24 Apr 2004

Yes back-up your files as it will restore it to the way it left the factory, will erase all new drivers and viruses...

Put disk 1 in and then turn the machine off...

Then reeboot and follow screen instructions........

Will have to reinstall all software and hardware that it did not come pre-loaded with...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017