Compaq WLAN connection issue

Nickelback1 17:56 27 Oct 2008

I've just installed a new wireless LAN Multiport w200 on my Evo N800v running XP Pro as the old one broke.
The new one will not connect to my secure network(but it can see it !) because the network needs WPA/PSK with TKIP encription, but the WLAN card only has WEP/WPA as an option.
I have tried updating to the latest drivers from the Compaq site but then I get a blue screen crash as soon as they are installed.
How do I solve this ?

mgmcc 08:31 28 Oct 2008

If the network adapter offers the option of WEP or WPA, what are the options once you've selected WPA?

Nickelback1 08:39 28 Oct 2008

When I disable my network security the card & laptop work fine.
We enabled with WPA/WPA2-PSK with TKIP encription, it wont work.
When I look @ the Wireless Network options it only gives disabled or WEP.
So currently it does not support the latter better security std, but is it a driver issue or just that the card/laptop/software does not support it ?

mgmcc 09:39 28 Oct 2008

>>> When I look @ the Wireless Network options it
>>> only gives disabled or WEP.

You shouldn't have to configure the Wireless Network Adapter settings manually. They will be saved automatically in a 'profile' by Windows after you've "Connected" to the wireless network. Run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

Nickelback1 09:51 28 Oct 2008

& that's the problem, when I get the prompt the only option it gives is WEP & not WPA/WPA2-PSK.
How do I get it to give me the second prompt ?

mgmcc 17:38 28 Oct 2008

If you're using Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration to manage your wireless networking (which I'd recommend) then, when you view Available Wireless Networks, you'll see a box like this click here which will indicate whether the encryption is WPA. If you select your network and click the Connect button, you then see this box click here in which to enter the key, but it *DOESN'T* distinguish between WEP or WPA.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?