compaq upgrade

Ciaran_Ire 15:48 17 Sep 2007

First Hi all hope someone may help me , I have a Compaq Presario 5000 model 5wv250 and I'm hoping to upgrade it. Does anyone know how much of an increase I can do on the processor the current one is an AMD Duron 700Mhz, also how much can I increase the graphics, the current card is an Nvidia Vanta 64Mb I think and lastly is it possible to upgrade the USB drivers to Ver 2.0

Thanks for any help
Ciaran

brundle 15:59 17 Sep 2007

With that chip it's quite likely limited to 100mhz memory and no more than perhaps 1 GHz Athlon - hardly worth the time and expense (and risk of getting a dud CPU off Ebay). Get more information about your system with this; click here

Even if you have or can fit 133mhz memory, your limit is likely a 1.4GHz Athlon - that would make a reasonable difference but the cost will be disproportionate.

There are still plenty of AGP cards around, but there are three types of AGP connector - check the results in PCWizard for your one.

You can fit a USB2 PCI card if you have spare slots;
click here

Assuming you have Win98 Second Edition too, USB support was pretty flaky before that.

brundle 16:13 17 Sep 2007

click here for memory upgrades

jack 17:06 17 Sep 2007

Brundle is correct.
parts may not be available even-
My self built 64bit machine only 18 months old in this form has run up to a brick wall with regard a simple memory up grade[1 gig to 2 gig the board can do it but the memory is to be had according to Crucial.

Coming back your problem though.
Compaq like Dell like say, HP and E-machines
any of the mass makes tend to build their machines with dedicated parts and to work within certain parameters and upgrading if not impossible is almost certainly not cost effective.
If want a bigger more powerful machine- simply go for a new one.

Ciaran_Ire 17:19 17 Sep 2007

Thanks for the help and quick response most appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?