compaq presrio PCMIA

dalimena 20:15 14 Jan 2007

Hi, i have a compaq presario 900 laptop, it is at the moment wireless through a 54 Mbps usb dongle. This is awkward to use as the 2 usb ports are at the back and when its laid flat, it moves the usb dongle and disconnects. I am wondering if any PCMIA card would fit it and work? or does it have to be a particular one?. Any help would be useful thanks in advance.

ed-0 20:59 14 Jan 2007

Which model " compaq presario 900 laptop " do you have. click here

Does it not come with built in WiFi?

ed-0 21:20 14 Jan 2007
  dalimena 10:46 15 Jan 2007

ed-0
I am not sure which presario i have, but i dont think it has wireless capability, how can i find out?

ed-0 11:10 15 Jan 2007

Download and install this free program, SIW. click here. See if it will tell you which presario model number you have.

or

look at the front of the case, is there a icon like this? click here

or

look in control panel > network connections > is there a icon for wireless network connection.

If you have those icons, you have built in WiFi.

If you don't

Then the good news is that the whole compaq range have a cardbus 11 slot. So that means even if you DON'T have built in WiFi, you could use a slim, flush PCMCIA WiFi card. Like these click here. I find these quite easy to setup and use. click here

dalimena 11:22 15 Jan 2007

ed-0 thanks for that very helpful info, it does not have built in wi-fi so i will will look at your other option. Thanks for your help a really helpfull forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?