Compaq Laptop will not boot past Vista Loading Screen

Luca M 12:43 01 Dec 2010

Hi All,

I have just tried to turn my laptop on this afternoon and it loads up fine until after the vista boot screen where the screen goes black with the White mouse pointer and that is all. It has been in this state for over an hour now. I have tried safe mode and the same results occur.

The hard drive is fine as I have attached it using a caddy to another PC and I can still see all the files.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated,

Luca

woodchip 13:03 01 Dec 2010

Have you tried tapping F11 when computer is starting?

Luca M 13:09 01 Dec 2010

Just tried that, it goes into system recovery. I don't really want to do a full restore of the system however I will see if any other options come up. Will post back with results.

Luca M 13:13 01 Dec 2010

Just tried that, it goes into system recovery. I don't really want to do a full restore of the system however I will see if any other options come up. Will post back with results.

Luca M 13:15 01 Dec 2010

System recovery was performed and the laptop was rolled back 2 days to a time when it was working and I am having the same problems. Anything else I should try before taking the final steps to a system restore?

woodchip 14:31 01 Dec 2010

It sounds like a Hardware Problem, have you fitted anything new or changed anything? like any new drivers. Remove all external devices and try it. Also try booting without the Hard Drive in the slot, this is under a plate in the bottom of PC if its a Laptop. Could also be a faulty stick of ram

Luca M 16:26 01 Dec 2010

I performed a full hard drive scan and repair from the F11 command prompt and it seems to have booted up after the repair of one windows file.

Thanks woodchip for your help.

woodchip 16:33 01 Dec 2010

glad to help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?