Compaq DVD-Rom will not play

malydee 22:29 03 Aug 2004

Although the Ricoh DVD+R will play movies etc, the Compaq DVD Rom (master)will not. I have tried opening Win DVD before and after loading the disc.
When using both the Ricoh and the Copaq, a JPEG warning "cannot open splash jpg" appears, but when OK is selected the movie plays

Chegs ® 22:34 03 Aug 2004

I'm a little unclear what the problem is,as you have said the Compaq doesn't work(Compaq DVD Rom (master)will not)then that it does(a JPEG warning "cannot open splash jpg" appears, but when OK is selected the movie plays)

THE TERMINATOR 00:29 04 Aug 2004

Is there a setting in your player, not to show the splash screen when the program starts....TT

malydee 18:18 05 Aug 2004

The Ricoh will play a movie but only after I click OK to remove the JPEG message. The Compaq unit will not play a movie after removing the JPEG message. It does however play CD's & data disks.

malydee 18:19 05 Aug 2004

The Ricoh will play a movie but only after I click OK to remove the JPEG message. The Compaq unit will not play a movie after removing the JPEG message. It does however play CD's & data disks.

Chegs ® 19:40 05 Aug 2004

I have a Compaq DVD-ROM here,it gave a few years reliable service then suddenly developed the same symptoms as that one of yours.I read up (via google)that it happens with this drive,and various methods were suggested to cure it.The only one that did anything with my drive,was to flash the firmware.This "converts" the drive from recognised by windows as a Compaq,to it being seen as a Samsung model.The various threads I read on other forums acknowledged about 40% success rate,I was one of the 60% that it failed.The drive is seen as a Samsung,but still only reads CD's not DVD's.I was fortunate in that I had another DVD-ROM "spare" so I installed that one in the affected PC.They aren't expensive items to replace but if you wish,I will find the other forum threads I refered to,so you can try the firmware change yourself.

malydee 19:52 05 Aug 2004

Chegs - thanks for the info, I think you are probably right.
As the unit is covered by a warranty extension at PC World, I will ask them to repair or replace it, thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?