Compaq DeskPro

CPU Temperature Too High 19:17 14 Apr 2003

My friend offered me a fairly old Compaq DeskPro, PC, with a Pentium Processor - 166MHz. It had 64Mb SDRAM in it, so I added another 256Mb slot along with another 128Mb slot, which I had lying around. 64+128+256= 448Mb SDRAM. I powered the thing up and it is actually quite fast. It has a 3Gb Hdd, Seagate. I though I could use it as some sort of test rig, or just when my other PC buggers up. I have another friend who has a similar spec PC, but some how has managed to instal Windows XP, with no problems or freeze ups. So I thought I would do the same, I shoved the 3gb HDD in my other PC and formatted, before putting it back in the Compaq.

The thing is, I do not know which key to use to get into the bios and change the first boot device to CDROM. I have tried F8 and DEL, anyone own a Compaq out there. The Compaq logo covers up the memory count and drive detection, so I can't see anything apart from the logo, with a tiny hour glass in the corner. Once this has loaded, it says 'No system Disk or disk error - replace and strike any key when ready'. That is as far as booting up goes. So how do I change the boot process to CD?, which key do I press to enter the bios?

CPU Temperature Too High 19:33 14 Apr 2003

Pleeeeeaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeeeeeee

REFRESH

CPU Temperature Too High 19:34 14 Apr 2003

Well I reformated so that that mean they would have been deleted? Beta, Ill try F10 though.

CPU Temperature Too High 19:38 14 Apr 2003

I'd just like to say, something which I earlier forgot to mention, if I do press a key, it says keyboard error. Then says F1 to boot, so I press this and it goes to a screen saying 'NTLDR is missing, Press Crtl=Alt+Del to restart. I do this and same message appears.

CPU Temperature Too High 19:55 14 Apr 2003

Refresh Please help me.

AMD 4 ever 19:57 14 Apr 2003

Put the drive back in the original pc and use a boot disk.FDISK and re-format.(on a drive that old boot to dos prompt first and run scandisk)

CPU Temperature Too High 19:57 14 Apr 2003

It is the DeskPro 2000, Cheers Beta, work ur magic

CPU Temperature Too High 20:06 14 Apr 2003

AMD4Ever, it is already Reformatted.

CPU Temperature Too High 20:08 14 Apr 2003

Thanks a lot Beta, Ill try what u said and keep u posted.

CPU Temperature Too High 20:10 14 Apr 2003

One thing how do I access FDisk, any command prompt for this. Please Beta.

CPU Temperature Too High 20:15 14 Apr 2003

I havent got a statrt up diak, anyway I am pretty sure there are no partitions on this drive. I have downloaded the file, shall I create the disks and then put them on the floppys, then put them in the other system and bot of those?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?