Compacting Emails problem

Enoch 06:48 01 Jan 2007

I run XPhome, using Outlook Express for my emailing.

Today I compacted my email folders, but instead of compacting the folders it copied them to my Recycle bin. Not a problem because it did not delete, only copied, however I assume the the email folders were not compacted.

Any ideas anyone???

Enoch 08:21 01 Jan 2007

^

Enoch 08:40 01 Jan 2007

On checking, it seems my email folders have changed the extension to .bak, and I think thy should be .dbx

How do I change them to the correct extention please----anybody???

postie24 09:08 01 Jan 2007
  postie24 09:10 01 Jan 2007
  Leslie-212488 09:24 01 Jan 2007

^

Enoch 10:53 01 Jan 2007

postie24-----I started working on your second option which made sense to me. However, I could not find the emails were it says "To change file associations" item 1, therefore I could not continue.

Advice please if you would please be so kind

postie24 11:08 01 Jan 2007

Hi enoch,have a look here.c/documents&settings/your name/local settings/application data/identities/microsoft/outlook express.

Dbx files are there

Enoch 13:26 01 Jan 2007

Postie24--------Thank you very much, your leads worked fine. However, all the files within your direction to Outlook Express are .dbx files so I did not change any.

What I think is happening is as follows; When I "compact" my email files I can see two things happening, one is the compacting pop-up window showing files being compacted AND in addition at the same time is see the "Copying" pop-up showing copying being done of the same files. I imagine the copying is being sent to the "Recycle bin".

I am not sure what to do next. Do I ignore the problem because the compacting is being done and I can delete the .bak copy files from the "Recycle bin"? Or, should I find a way to stop the .bak files

I await your post with interest and hopefully good advice

Enoch 15:20 01 Jan 2007

^

postie24 16:40 01 Jan 2007

Hi enoch,have a read through this and see if it helps

click here

Postie24

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?