Compact Flash Write Protection

George Smiley 00:26 12 Jul 2005

Read other threads in forum about Compact Flash and Write Protection but not sure if my problem is covered.

Been viewing a friend's Sandisk Compact Flash disk using an Integral 8-in-1 card reader on XP. All well until I try to copy them to CD-RW. Get the message that the disk is write-protected.

How do you unprotect the CF card?

Any ideas?

Thanks bundles.

George Smiley 00:28 12 Jul 2005

ps

It's photos I'm trying to copy. CF disk is FAT format and my XP PC uses NTFS. Could this affect be affecting matters too?

De Marcus 00:30 12 Jul 2005

Try copying the files from the card to a folder on the desktop and burning the files from this location rather than directly from the card which is what I presume your doing?

De Marcus 00:32 12 Jul 2005

There shouldn't be any problems with the ntfs/ fat32 file systems. Basically NTFScan read the fat file system but not the other way round, which in this case isn't a problem.

ton 00:47 12 Jul 2005

I agree with De Marcus - copy the files to a folder on the PC first.

George Smiley 19:07 12 Jul 2005

Thanks for the responses all.

Was able to copy to my C: drive rather than straight to CD-RW as I've been trying. However, the photos remained write-protected according to Windows. Even when I made a second copy of them on my C: drive.

Now I find that ALL of MY photos in the same folder as the ones I've uploaded have been write-protected when previously I could copy them to CD-RW.

Trying to read Windows XP Inside Out for ideas. Even when I use the Properties index of the folders and untick the Read Only box and Apply, etc., when I look at the folder again it remains write-protected.

Anyone experienced this?

Thanks

George Smiley 22:18 12 Jul 2005

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?