compact flash incompatibility?

nickhick 19:30 06 Feb 2003

I bought a 128Mb CF card from 7dayshop and put it in my camera and formatted it and took several photos. I was able to view these in the playback mode and so thought that all was well.
I then removed card and placed it in my 'INTEGRAL' card reader (connected to laptop, via USB) but when I double clicked on the appropriate icon in 'MY COMPUTER'the computer 'hung' or 'froze'and nothing short of pulling the plug could get the thing to work again. It does this every time I try to 'open' the CF card and view any files. I Can't, of course, even format it using the computer's formatting procedure.
I've had this once before with someone elses CF card but have had no trouble with at least two other branded cards that I own.
Is this phenomenon common with some makes and size of CF card. I'll be sending my card back for a refund, though.

siouxah1 21:04 06 Feb 2003

nickhick,

It is not unknown for this to be a problem. Some cards are not reliable in some makes of camera.

For easy reliable compatability check try here.click here

Good prices, good returns policy if not compatible after using there memory finder.

Regards Brian

siouxah1 21:08 06 Feb 2003

PS If you know anyone with a Digital camera get them to format it in their camera. Then try again.

I'm sure you are familiar with the formatting requirement being FAT16 if carried out in a computer.

Brian

eVil Niloc 21:41 06 Feb 2003

Hi nickhick

I too bought a cf card from 7dayshop (64mg) This locked the camera up (cheap Umax 1.3mp)On Umax website this brand and size card was supposed to be compatible. Umax did not respond to emails. Bought new small card from Jessops which works fine with no formatting.

A friend has just bought a new Canon camera and my apparently duff 64mg card works perfectly in it.

I know this does not particularly help you, but maybe its a case of some do and some don't work.

One of the joys of distance buying!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?