comp keeps rebooting after new cpu and bios flash

DodgeyDave 13:58 09 Oct 2007

Please help. I purchased a new processor Athlon 64 x2 4200+. Once installed booted fine but comp was not reading i had a dual processor. Was told to flash / update the bios. Did this with no apparent problems. On first boot all was well and system showed 4200 dual core. on second reboot the computer would get pass the initial login phase and then reboot itself ( then kept on doing it ). I decided it may be a software prob so re-formatted hard drive and tried to re-install windows XP. Half way thru the installation the computer would reboot again, get to the same stage and reboot again and so on. Left the computer for a day and tried again and eventually it worked and xp was installed. But it stills goes back to old problem of rebooting on start-up. I have done all the usual checks - it's not overheating ( correct thermal compound on cpu / heat sink )runs at 40 decrees. No virus. I have pulled most of my hair out trying to fix this but no joy. Please help ............ thx

PO79 14:18 09 Oct 2007

Have you considered entering the BIOS at boot up and setting BIOS defaults.

exodus 14:23 09 Oct 2007

Hi, first option will be to disable automatic restart in System Properties after a system failure. This will then give the BSOD with an error message which may help to establish what is causing the problem.

Open System Properties (Windows key + Pause/break key)/ Advanced tab/ under Startup and Recovery click the Settings box and remove the tick from automatic restart. Click OK and Apply changes if prompted/required.

exo

exodus 14:25 09 Oct 2007

Further to may last post, you may need to try this from safe mode if XP will not load correctly.

exo

DodgeyDave 20:15 09 Oct 2007

i have disabled automatic restart in System Properties and reset bios to the defaults but still no joy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?