Is Comodo non-intrusive and easy to use?

Halmer 08:47 25 Sep 2008

For some reason Firefox keeps hanging and one by one I am trying to find out why.

My next port of call is to uninstall Zone Alarm and try Comodo for a week or so but just wanted to know:-

1. Is it as easy to use as ZA (I know it's v good).
2. Does it still drive you mad with pop ups and alerts or can you suppress these in the same way as you can with ZA?

Thanks

Stuartli 09:13 25 Sep 2008

Comodo Firewall Pro only "pops up" if the status quo is about to be changed for some reason (i.e. installing new software or a notable file/folder change).

Better to be warned rather than sorry afterwards..:-)

I've been using Comodo for a couple of months now after many years with ZA and am very happy with its performance.

Likewise, I've recently started using Comodo Registry Cleaner (freeware) which I've found equally efficient.

Halmer 09:23 25 Sep 2008

I was planning to use the free version but I suppose it begs the question if I am working wirelessly via a router with Vista do I need a third party firewall in any case?

Now I've uninstalled ZA my notebook boots up twice as fast and unless I'm imagining it, loads pages faster as well.

Halmer 10:06 25 Sep 2008

I'll have to give Comodo up as a bad job. Loaded it as per instructins and laptop now refuses to boot uo. Just stops at black screen.

Computers don't you just love em!

birdface 10:11 25 Sep 2008

Try Kerio Firewall [free].No problems with pop ups on that.

Halmer 10:32 25 Sep 2008

7.1.248.000 and uninstalled 8.0.020.000 and will see how it goes thanks.

Interestingly enough the old version tells me that there is no update available.

birdface 11:01 25 Sep 2008

If using Vista I have heard that the Windows Firewall is quite good.

Stuartli 11:17 25 Sep 2008

I'm surprised you're having problems with Comodo Firewall Pro - all I had to do was install and then configure it as I thought appropriate and have never looked back.

Stuartli 11:18 25 Sep 2008

I also have a modem router firewall in use - neither interferes with the other.

Halmer 11:27 25 Sep 2008

I installed it no problem. It then did a malware scan and gave me a message that the computer needed to be restarted. It did this but it then just stopped at a black screen right at the start.

I gave it some time but eventually pressed the power button to turn it off then rebooted. It got stuck again so I uninstalled it in safe mode and it booted OK then.

Would have liked to have tried it but never mind thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?