Comodo Firewall Pro

budget84 14:50 14 Oct 2009

Hi there,

I wrote yesterday about some ongoing problems I have been having and was advised to download Avast home edition. This really helped speed things up a bit and it actually found over 10 trojans on my system (even though I have had Mcafee running for 2 years on here) which have subsequently been deleted. I have now also uninstalled Mcafee. The person that recommended Avast also said to download a good firewall as well. I remember that I disabled the Windows XP own firewall a while back as it was really slowing things down. I have looked on here and on your top 10 downloads is Comodo Firewall Pro. What I want to know is, is this the best free firewall out there and will I be fully protected? Will it slow things down? And also will it be compatible with Avast, as I find sometimes when you have 2 different security programmes running it can slow everything down. Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thank you

provider 2 16:44 14 Oct 2009

I think it`s a matter of priorities with XP.

If you want to keep Avast and let it run with nothing getting in the way, then it`s best not to install a firewall that has an anti-virus built in as part of the package.

Unfortunately, Comodo Firewall Pro has just that and more besides. You can get round it, though, by installing an earlier version from Filehippo: click here

Scroll down to version 2.4.18.184. It`s a perfectly good firewall but without the bells and whistles of the latest versions and runs very well with Avast on XP.

provider 2 17:17 14 Oct 2009

... I should add that I stopped updating at version 3.8.64739.471 having got thoroughly fed up of it updating every five minutes mostly with vista compatibility stuff that I don`t need.

It`s running ok with Avast but the Defense+ component has a serious case of paranoia can be a bit irritating at times.

budget84 17:20 14 Oct 2009

Thank you very much for your response provider 2. Yeah that's why I was a bit dubious about Comodo as I knew it had a built in anti virus. Thank you for your advice. I may wait for a bit to see if anyone else has an alternative firewall they can recommend, due to what you said about it being a bit irritating at times. If not I will give the older version of Comodo a shot.

provider 2 17:25 14 Oct 2009

Yes, hang about to see what others have to say.

I know some people prefer the new Comodo AV but I don`t think it can be as good as Avast and I`ve heard it`s updating like a thing possessed, often only correcting false positives.

Could be wrong, though ...

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:30 14 Oct 2009

Most Trojans that I have to deal with will not be stopped by any firewall or AV as the owner inadvertently downloaded them. By doing so and 'giving permission' a firewall or AV will let them through. You are wasting your money coughing up for comodo, especially if you have a router. Just use Avast, windows firewall (if you want to but it is not necessary), use Ccleaner once a week to clear all the detritus and download malawarebytes (free version), update, deep scan and delete all it finds. You could download Superantispyware which will run in real time but I feel that this hogs some resources and is a bit OTT.

I have said this many times before but any home user that pays for computer security is a bit misinformed and screamingly paranoid. Invest the money saved in a memory stick to copy your documents to...this will be of much more use.

G

provider 2 17:34 14 Oct 2009

Comodo Firewall Pro, despite the name, is a free firewall program as far as I`m aware.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:36 14 Oct 2009

ps..if you download Ccleaner click here, run it and make sure you do not select 'install yahoo toolbar' unless you have some bursting need for it. On first run, in the windows tab on the left, drill down to 'advanced' and tick ALL the boxes apart from the last two ('custom files' and 'wipe free space').

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:37 14 Oct 2009

'despite the name, is a free firewall program as far as I`m aware'...if so, I stand corrected but it is still OTT.

G

provider 2 17:41 14 Oct 2009

You may well be right but no doubt Comodo fans are long-suffering enough to stick with it to the bitter end.

From a previous thread: click here

raziel08 17:49 14 Oct 2009

I used comodo firewall profor a while and it was good and worked with avast with no problems even with defense+. I use it on vista so may be different. when i went to the update manager in comodo it upgraded to comodo internet security which gives the user a choice, they can have just a firewall with defense+ or they can use the anti virus as well. you get this choice when you are installing it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?