Comodo firewall instead of Zone Alarm ?

Bansaw 01:04 21 Jan 2011

I am toying with the idea of getting rid of zone alarm because it keeps bugging me everyday with "upgrade?" reminders.

I heard free Comodo Firewall is better.

Any comments?

ashdav 01:09 21 Jan 2011

I'd forget it and just use the Windows one.
If you're using a router then they are not doing much good.
If you're using a modem then you should really move with the times and get a router.
The fewer programs you have running the better.

Bansaw 01:30 21 Jan 2011

thanks ashdav, yeah, I'm one of those people who like to know which program is trying to access the internet...

michaelw 07:34 21 Jan 2011

I did the same after a few minor conflicts; got rid of Zonealarm and now I've got Comodo. It works much better but I stopped the antivirus function and installed Avast.

Tonsie 12:00 21 Jan 2011

Bansaw,have a look at Kerio Firewall(Sunbelt Personal) good reviews,and very little reminders.
Sorry can not give a link.
Regards Tonsie.

Bansaw 13:13 21 Jan 2011

Thanks Tonsie etc,.. - I kindof like reminders and my firewall talking to me. I like to know whats trying to connect to the internet so I can turn off those things that try to "look for updates" all the time. Comodo looks like something you can configure to be talkative.

john bunyan 13:47 21 Jan 2011

I had Conodo about a year ago when on XP. Onswitching to W7 I now have PCTools free firewall. I did not consider ZA in view of conflict reports. I find PCTools very good and far less intrusive than Comodo, which I found a bit too "nanny" like..

sayl100 15:01 21 Jan 2011

been using comodo for some time and the firewall is quite good.

Bansaw 15:08 21 Jan 2011

thanks - what I am looking for as well is performace. Someone told me Zone Alarm slowed things down a lot, but Comodo was better performace-wise.

Also, I might look at PCTools for my wife,- something that works well, doesn't slow things up and doesn't give her too many alerts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache