Common/Driver folder on startup...

nick_j007 16:08 27 Jan 2006

Hello all,

Well my PC has been running so well I've not been here for some time...oops spoke too soon!

When I start up on XP home I get a folder come up on the desk top without fail.
It is headed 'Common' and I can see a folder there called Drivers.
Click that folder and I have three inside:
Com os
Win 2k xp
Win 9x
Inside each of these are files that all follow the same format...they all start with hpz.
One for example reads hpzcoi07 and they are all DL_ Files.

I have an HP all in one...could that be the culprit?
Perhaps I have set a shortcut up accidentally and is there a way to remove it?

What to do?

Many thanks.

Nick

BurrWalnut 19:29 27 Jan 2006

Check in Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View that "Restore Previous Folder Windows On Login" is unchecked.

Also, after every login your profile is being loaded into the registry and a certain number of programs are started from the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run tree. When Windows is unable to load a particular program, say, the path of the program doesn't exist anymore, it sometimes opens up the C:\Program Files folder by default.
To solve it, Start, Run, regedit and navigate to the above tree and check if every value is known to you. Then do the same for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

nick_j007 12:20 29 Jan 2006

Thank you, just checked back to read this, will try what you suggest, and let you know.

Thanks,

Nick

nick_j007 11:49 23 Nov 2006

The problem has not gone away as per the first post.

I have carried out BurrWalnut's advice and all seems well there. Any further thoughts please?

Thank you.

Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?