Comments on a website please...

Gaz 25 01:25 29 Dec 2006

I would like opinions and comments on the design/navigation of the following website:

click here

Now, I realise it's a bit adverty at the moment, but I'm cleaning that up and intergrating that more.

Please don't comment on the content as it's yet to be revised. I can't post the old website because the name of it violates the forum rules. FE will probably remember which one I'm talking about.

But, what I will be interested to hear is what you'd like to see on there? Downloads maybe?

Let me know any thoughts at all!

Thanks.

Gaz 25 01:30 29 Dec 2006

If any one is willing to help develop the website, I'm more than open to offer this. With possible goodies involved.. ;-)

bigggles 10:09 29 Dec 2006

Three spelling mistakes on the home page (2 x completely and an exciting) and in the forum titles we have a "rig's" - I don't think the apostrophe is needed?

In my view attention to spelling and grammar is important, as mistakes reduce the credibility and professional appearance of the site.

Gaz 25 15:32 29 Dec 2006

Always typing too fast and not bothering too proof read...

I'll change those.

Any more about the speed?

Gaz 25 15:38 29 Dec 2006

URL tested: click here

Speed: 1.74 sec (see Test details below)

Compare to: 2.82 sec (our current benchmark average).

This is from external site that tests website performance. Could just be a one off?

Kate B 18:30 29 Dec 2006

Slow to load for me, too, and I wouldn't bother clicking through from a front page that had so many spelling errors. Also, it's not hard to find good PC advice: a quick Google usually turns up answers to most problems on lots of good sites. I like the design of the front page though: nice and clean.

Gaz 25 20:40 29 Dec 2006

So spelling and speed...

Hmm bit confused about the speed, I've tried from 3 different internet connections and it seems to load in less than 3 seconds.

I'll look into it.

PurplePenny 20:42 29 Dec 2006

Not slow for me.

Small point: you have the copyright date as 2007! It can't be: we are still in 2006.

You don't need to add future dates to a copyright statement you only need to add a new copyright date when you change content. Copyright persists for a fixed term so something copyrighted in 2004 will still be in copyright in 2007 without you adding 2007 as a date.

Gaz 25 20:44 29 Dec 2006

That is strange if it's slow for some people? Maybe DNS as it's a new site.

Regarding 2007 - thats because the content will be revised and rewritten for 2007 and currently the website is not live. It's just in development but I wanted to ensure everything works and looks okay before I continue.

Must learn to proof read though.

PurplePenny 20:47 29 Dec 2006

I remember you Gaz: you have the same surname as me. I also remember looking at your site but I'm not sure that I'm remembering what it was like. Did it have an icon of an armchair in the navigation at the top?

Gaz 25 20:49 29 Dec 2006

Yes I remember, you helped me when I had a CSS issue with my PC website on the menu. I'll PM you the old site as FE banned me from adding it here because it was called Optimax.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017