Comments Forms

sean-278262 01:52 11 Mar 2008

Hi everyone, Im back again looking for help in another aspect of my sites programming. As I have been learning HTML from scratch without books and getting as far as I feel quite a way further on and to the point where I have developed the skills I want to have in it I wish to try something a bit more exciting on my pages.

I would like to add a comments box to my galleries so people can interact and comment on my photos. I have PHP Version 5.1.6 active on the server and understand that to make a comments form add a comment to a page PHP or PERL are ideally needed to do it.

Can anyone either link me to a comprehensive guide or explain in simple terms to someone that is new to all this how I would go about adding a very simple comments form where a user can add a comment and their name and the comment be added to the page with the date?

As I say I have never done anything as fancy as this before, and this is the first time I have been editing purely without messing about with WYSIWYG editors. So simple is probably best.

Cheers for any help.

Kemistri 02:04 11 Mar 2008

Well, there's a character limit and it's 2am, so I'm not going to explain this in full....

Unless you would prefer to receive comment submissions by e-mail (PHP) for prior approval, your PHP content filtering will need to be thorough. That much is quite easy anyway -- basically the same as what you would add to filter bad content out of an e-mail submission. The web is full of tutorials about using PHP to generate updated HTML output -- some are quite good, while others are frankly pretty awful at explaining it. I suggest that you invest in a couple of good books, preferably from the O'Reilly and Sitepoint ranges.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?