Command prompt string

Brusan 12:54 14 Aug 2004

I need to remove the 'read only' attribute from a home video. In the Command prompt I can use "attribute -r" but I keep getting 'path not found' amongst other messages. My entry was, "attrib -r\C:Documents and Settings\ERNEST\My documents\My videos\file name. I used the file name with and without quotes and spaces and have permutated every entry. I thought I had it once to read 'incorrect switch - -r' but it was in the same place. With the cd in the drive there is no file path. Help!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:05 14 Aug 2004

Why are you trying in Command prompt?
can do in windows --- right click file, select properties atrib are at bottom of tab.

Brusan 12:38 15 Aug 2004

Thank you Fruit Bat. When I uncheck the 'read only' box and try to edit, I get the 'Access denied' message. So I am still aiming for the right string in Ms Dos. The annoying thing is I am proficient in Basic and Cpm.

Rob_E 12:48 15 Aug 2004

Have you tried using the DOS 8.3 short file/folder names, e.g. "my documents" will be mydocu~1

if you do DIR /X you'll see the short file names. attrib probably doesn't understand the windows long names.

Dorsai 13:25 15 Aug 2004

I think Rob_E has the answer. Long filenames are probably the reason it won't work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?