Combine partitions?

jonargent 23:58 13 Feb 2009

Hi,

Does anyone know how to combine 2 partitions on a hard drive? My laptop comes with a backup partition which I don't need, as it also came with a complete recovery disc (OS and drivers). Is there a way to combine the 2 partitions without messing up windows?

Diodorus Siculus 03:53 14 Feb 2009

Depends on your operating system.

I use partition magic for the process and I don't think that XP/Vista has a native means of doing it which is non-destructive if one of the partitions has the operating system installed.

However, I am not certain of this.

If neither of the partitions include the OS then you can format both and then join them into one via disk management.

tullie 07:49 14 Feb 2009

Dont your recovery disks need the partition as part of the recovery process?

jonargent 10:57 14 Feb 2009

Diodorus Siculus: I'm running XP MCE, and the main partition is the OS.

Tullie: It doesn't need it for the recovery, when you use the disc, it checks if theres a partition there first, if not, it creates one.

Diodorus Siculus 11:07 14 Feb 2009

You can join together partitions which don't include that on which the OS is installed; this can be useful in that it allows you to save data to a partition which can be backed up individually to the primary one.

To join all partitions into one on which the OS is, you will need third party software. As I said, I used Partition Magic for this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone