Com Ports keep switching-Why?

Kooji 20:40 05 Aug 2007

Can anyone advise please. I am running Windows XP. As part of my job I have to interface with a Galaxy 500 intruder alarm system via a USB lead- in order to add or delete fobs etc. The Galaxy is configured to connect via Com Port 1. After inputting the correct access code a window pops up which says ' Dialing Site',the message then says'Successfully connected to Site' and away I go. However lately a message pops up saying 'Cannot connect to site via Com Port 1, you may choose another Port'. I then re-set, to Com Port 2, but the same message appears for each Port in turn. It's as if the computer is randomising the Com Ports. Can anyone suggest a reason for this and a possible solution please?

Sorry this is such a long winded thread folks.

Kooji.

DieSse 22:21 05 Aug 2007

This manual click here and a datasheet I found, says you have to communicate with a Galaxy via RS232 (Com ports) or Ethernet.

So why are you using USB, and what adapter are you using to simulate RS232 on the USB lead?

Or what else are you doing that isn't quite clear to me from your description?

Kooji 12:57 08 Aug 2007

DieSse

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I had to wait to take advice from the Galaxy engineer. He is on site and has agreed with you, I was ill advised to connect using a USB lead. He is now re-setting the system to allow me to connect direct with the RS232 comms mod.

Many thanks

Kooji

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?