Colourblind laser printer

greybeard 17:27 28 Jan 2010

I have a Konica Minolta Magicolor 330 colour laser printer set up to run from my laptop, running XP3 Home.

Has worked well for the last 6 months, but over the New Year it has gone totally colourblind !
It will print black in text or graphics perfectly, but will not print any colour, from photos, mixed graphics or mixed colour text.
If I convert a colour file to greyscale, it will print the greyscale OK.
If I change the print setting to print B/W, it converts the colours to greyscale and prints OK.

I reinstalled the printer and the latest drivers, but no change.
I changed the software to an earlier version but no change.
I changed the laptop to a desktop I have running 98SE, with exactly the same result - prints the black content of a file and ignores the colour content.

It seems to me that the fault lies in the printer itself, although no error codes or messages are displayed.
I'm familiar with the way laser printers work, but cannot think of what fault would produce this effect, so complete, for three toners not to print, but the black to do so.

Most grateful for any ideas, even those not linked directly to this particular printer, but only to colour lasers in general.

John

greybeard 16:16 01 Feb 2010

Any ideas ?
I'm looking for generic advice, not necessarily to do with this specific printer !
John

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 01 Feb 2010

Do a test page using the printer's own test function - this will tell you if printer problem or PC problem.

Most printers can be set to B/W only in the print options - you may have inadvertently set it this way or one of your programs has set it this way.

woodchip 18:26 01 Feb 2010

Sounds like its out of colour toner if on original these will not be big Toner carts

User-312386 18:28 01 Feb 2010

With our work colour printer we found that this happens when we are running low on ink. Take the drums out and give them a gentle shake, it might give you a few more pages of colour!

greybeard 11:45 16 Feb 2010

I'll give them a good shake, but it's curious that all three colours stopped at the same instant, with no intermediate poor printing, but the black continued perfectly.
These are standard sizes toner tubes, so I'm not expecting them to run out just yet.
Besides, the machine puts up a signal on the lcd when the toner runs out, and there's no message posted.

Reporting back asap,
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?