Colour Separation for Printing

Sea Urchin 21:35 15 May 2008

I wonder whether anyone knows of a program (not too expensive) that will separate a .pdf page, flipped by Photoshop Elements 6, into Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black for making plates for colour printing. Adobe Photoshop is the only one I have found so far that would do it, but £600 is rather over my budget.

rossgolf 22:01 15 May 2008

i honestly dnt get what you are tryin to do. could you explain a bit more please?
you want blocks of colour?

€dstowe 22:16 15 May 2008

I imagine you want separation colours for conventional ink printing - offset litho or some such. Unless you have a lot to do or are going to be doing this on a very regular basis, your printer (company, not an Epson or HP) or print shop are best placed to do this.

Sea Urchin 22:46 15 May 2008

Yes, €dstowe is correct - producing individual plates for colour printing on a Heidelburg press. It is done in large quantities and on a regular basis, so I am seeking some software that can perform this action. It might be better if I speak to a printing company for their advice. Thanks for your comments.

stlucia 08:42 16 May 2008

I use a very old version of Adobe Pagemaker. Current version is advertised at less than £500, but that's still rather steep.

But I've just checked my copy of Serif Photoplus 8, and it can do colour separation and printer marks. I'm sure I didn't pay more than £40 for it.

Sea Urchin 11:39 16 May 2008

Thanks stlucia - will look into that

Woolwell 14:53 16 May 2008

Serif PagePlus X2 and PhotoPlus X2 should do it and PagePlus with pdf files. I think that it needs a PostScript printer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone