Colour of pen drive inserts

  Housten 16:53 05 May 2015

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

having a computer with USB 3.0 ports I have become aware that if the insert at the point which connects to the computer is blue it is a USB 3.0 pen drive.

Well I have several USB 2 drives and they tend to have a black insert. My fault, I know, but I have just noticed a SanDisk 8GB drive that I have is red. It has the bit that gets shoved into the connector slide out of the unit, and the plastic 'insert' is red. Does anyone know if this means anything or is it just a bit quirky or is it a just a bit of a change from the black? Just me being nosey, but I am wondering why the change.

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:12 05 May 2015

Colour is irrelevant USB3 have extra contact 5 USB2 has 4

yes coloured blue on a PC or laptop but pen drves have not stuck with the convention if it states USB3 then check the number of contacts to verify.

  wee eddie 19:11 05 May 2015

The home USB Socket has a positioning bar at the top, its colours are:- USB - Black, USB 2 - White, USB 3 - Blue

  lotvic 12:23 06 May 2015

wee eddie, thanks for posting that, most useful, that explains the bother I've been having using an ext lead with USB-Black bar.

  wee eddie 12:55 06 May 2015

I believe that when USB2 was first introduced, they were not universally differentiated but, over the next year or two, the different coloured bars were introduced.

  Housten 17:23 07 May 2015

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

Apologies Gentlemen, for taking so long to post my reply.

The pen drive I was asking about is red and, it appears, to have 4 inserts, making it a USB 2 according to what "Fruit Bat /\0/\" has posted. I thought that it was actually a USB 3, but this does not appear to be the case.

What I would like to know is if there is a way that a pen drive could be connected to , say, a USB 3 connection on your computer ( I think it would have to be a USB 3 as a USB 2 drive wouldn't necessarily know about USB 3 )and the computer could tell you if it was a USB 1, 2 or 3 drive. This I think would be extremely useful. Maybe there is a way already, but I am having memory problems and do not remember if there is such information available on your computer. I mean it might be that you need a certain OS, and I only have Windows 7, 64BIT, Home Premium if that is of any help to anyone looking to post a reply.

Many thanks in anticipation.

  wee eddie 17:40 07 May 2015

I think that we may be talking at cross purposes.

What do you mean by "Inserts". I was assuming that you meant the bar across the top of the socket.

But, from your latest reply,I was obviously wrong.

Please expand on the word "Insert "

  Housten 16:12 19 May 2015

Good Afternoon, wee eddie,

Sorry to take so long to reply, but we have been away and at a family wedding ( or as I tend to call them funeral ) up in Aberdeenshire.

What I was referring to as an 'insert' is when looking straight at the rectangular opening and have the coloured part on the bottom half, if you adjust the angle you then look down the 'hole' the things that lie on the top of the coloured material are what I call the 'inserts'. If you look down a USB 2.0 there are 4 and a USB 3.0 has 5. If I am wrong I am more than willing to be corrected.

Many thanks in anticipation of any replies.

  wee eddie 17:51 19 May 2015

See May 5 at 7.11pm

  bumpkin 18:11 19 May 2015

If you look down a USB 2.0 there are 4 and a USB 3.0 has 5.

As explained by FruitBat in the first reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017